Radiation Shielding Glass
Radiation Protection Products’ leaded glass, also called X-ray glass, radiation shielding glass, or lead glass, is a light amber colored glass that is suitable for installation in walls and doors. We offer leaded glass in 1.6mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, and 3.2mm efficiencies. Lead efficiencies are based on 150 kV. Leaded glass with higher equivalencies can be quoted upon request.
The shielding characteristics of radiation shielding glass are achieved by its high lead and barium content. This makes the glass, when compared to float glass, more sensitive to chemical reactions from acidic, alkaline substances and water vapor. Lead glass should not be exposed to acid gases, humidity, or strong temperature fluctuations combined with humidity.
RPP’s Radiation Shielding Glass
Our specially designed laminated leaded glass consists of 1/16” leaded glass laminated to a piece of clear float. This design helps meet state specifications requiring both safety properties and lead properties in all vision panels (door lites, side lites, etc.) Our laminated leaded glass consists of the following:
- Approximately 7.0mm thick leaded glass
- 1.5mm thick clear interlayer (laminate)
- 4.0mm thick clear float
Our radiation shielding glass is approximately 1/2” thick overall.
Standard Sizes of X-Ray Protection Glass
Custom sizes quoted upon request.
Safety Glazing Code
RPP’s Category II architectural safety x-ray glass meets Category I and Category II requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Additionally, this product complies with model building code safety standards for human impact performance, as found in section 2703 of SBCCI Standard Building Code and section 5406, Sections 54-2 of ICBO Uniform Building Code.
RWB46 Radiation Shielding Glass
RWB46 radiation protection glass provides a high quality, transparent, protective shield against x-ray radiation in medical, technical, and research applications. Its high content of lead and barium provides optimum shielding against radiation energies generated by equipment in the range of 100-300 kV.
RWB46 leaded glass is supplied as polished plates in sizes up to 2,000mm x 1,000mm. Smaller sizes can be cut to customer requirements; all edges are ground with safety chamfers. Different thicknesses are available within the ranges listed and can be quoted upon request. RWB46 can be laminated to meet safety requirements.
Applications for RWB46 Leaded Glass
- Viewing windows and insulating glazing for X-ray rooms
- Screens for medical diagnostics
- Protection windows in laboratories
- Lenses for safety goggles
- Airport security X-ray screens
Minimum Lead Equivalency in mm at Stated X-Ray Potential
Installing Radiation Shielding Glass
- When installing, care should be taken that the sealing agents do not contain any acid or alkaline substances (acetic acid, ammonia, etc.).
- Labels may cause staining on the glass surface due to reactions with the adhesives.
- It is advisable to wear cotton gloves when handling leaded glass to avoid leaving fingerprints.
General Cleaning Recommendations for Radiation Shielding Glass
- Use only mild detergents
- Do not use harsh or abrasive cleaning chemicals or materials, as these could abrade the surface and leave scratch marks which cannot be removed
- Never allow any liquid cleaning material to dry on the glass surface. This will leave “watermarks” on the glass surface that can be very difficult to remove
- For general cleaning and the removal of dust film, etc., use a soft cotton cloth together with isopropyl alcohol and clean in a smooth, circular motion
- For cleaning difficult stains, use a mild detergent diluted with water to the manufacturer’s recommendations and clean with a soft cotton cloth. Dry surfaces immediately after cleaning with a dry cotton cloth; using a further cotton cloth, clean with isopropyl alcohol as in section.
- Other acceptable products for cleansing radiation shielding glass include water, non-abrasive cleansing agents, spirits, and polishing-grade hydrous emulsion of cerium oxide
Contact Us for Radiation Shielding Glass & More
We are North America’s largest distributor of leaded glass, and also offer radiation shielded wall construction materials, radiation shielded doors, and more. Request a quote on X-ray shielding glass, or contact Radiation Protection Products for more information.